in

Vet Saves Poisoned Cat’s Life With An Unexpected Antidote

One very sick kitty has a new lease on life and a fun new name thanks to the quick-thinking of a veterinarian at Australia’s RSPCA Animal Emergency Hospital at Wacol.

“Tipsy” the tomcat was saved from certain death with an IV infusion of ethanol – in the form of vodka – after ingesting a toxic dose of antifreeze.

The one-year-old stray kitty was found in a deadly state outside a Lowood, Australia tire shop last week. He was hypothermic and suffering from convulsions when he was rushed to the RSPCA clinic. Veterinarian Sarah Kanther performed an ultrasound and recognized the tell-tale kidney damage that is a hallmark of antifreeze poisoning.

🍸It was vodka to the rescue for poisoned kitty, now named ‘Tipsy’. Tipsy had ingested a possible bait of toxic…

Antifreeze poisoning can be treated with pure ethanol, but the clinic did not have any on hand. What they did have was a bottle of Absolut Vodka left over from Christmas.

“We basically administered vodka intravenously,” Dr Kanther said. “It sounds a bit radical but the enzymes that metabolise the antifreeze, making it more toxic to the kidneys, also metabolise the ethanol in vodka. Once we administered that, he metabolised the vodka instead of the antifreeze.”


What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Look How This Cat Responds To “Who’s A Good Boy?”

8 Common Household Items That Are Toxic To Pets